Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Giant Step Double Header @ Le Bain, July 25, 2011






So I went to Le Bain last night, technically it was twice in one day. Well, not really, it was only once, but it was for two separate events thrown by the same music loving company by the name of Giant Step. It was really back to back events that were held at the exact same space, which is the first time I’ve ever heard of anyone doing that, but it was a lot of fun anyway. I suppose it’s hard NOT to have fun in Le Bain, so Giant Step probably thought, let’s just have everything here, all in one day.

Event number one for the night was a mini Melanie Fiona showcase. Now I’d been to a showcase at Le Bain (also thrown by Giant Step) before, but I didn’t actually see the performance because I was outside on the balcony area, but I could hear it. It wasn’t until last night that I actually saw how they set up the inside of Le Bain for performances. They make them pretty much perform on the couches surrounding the indoor pool. Doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense but, whatever works I guess. I understand the allure of Le Bain (it’s the best place in NYC to party, bar none) but it’s not the best place to have a live performance. I would imagine it would have been cheaper for the guys from Giant Step to find a different venue with a better stage setup., but I’m never going to complain about drinking for free at Le Bain.

If you don’t know Melanie Fiona she’s an R&B artist with a fine live voice, as I found out last night. She also has a lot of dedicated fans, who stood outside in the rain waiting to get in for at least an hour (it took me an hour and a half to get in!). The entire event was well worth it though, because she’s a consummate professional, and I almost missed the entire performance because I was yet again outside when it was happening. It gets really packed inside for these Giant Step events so I decided to retreat to the outdoors for some chill and drink time, only to find out that she was performing inside. I ran back inside to catch the tail end of her performance, which is why I’m not mentioning the songs she did, I didn’t hear them! I did hear her do one song, and it was good enough for me to make the statement that she sounds great live.

After she was all finished up, they went straight into the second event, a party DJed by the one and only DJ Spinna, who is a phenomenal house DJ. House music for me is the most fun music one can dance to, and it’s great because you don’t have to be really awesome at house dancing to dance to it. The beats are always really catchy and a good house DJ usually mixes in all kinds of music with it to keep the vibe going (Breakbeats, disco, old school hip-hop, etc.). DJ Spinna is a great house DJ, and everyone was dancing, literally EVERYONE. And it was a very mixed up crowd as well, from young people to people 20 years my senior, just jamming out. I had to get to work today so I had to leave early, but I really didn’t want to, but such is Le Bain, upon entering you never actually want to leave that place. EVER. Check out Giant Step for more awesome events.

No comments:

Post a Comment