Friday, March 11, 2011

rag & bone Rocks Saks Fifth Ave, March 10th, 2011



As you can see, this particular event took place on the same day as my very intimate Grace Potter and The Nocturnals show, but it happened later, so I actually got to go to both shows. Lucky me, because I got to see 2 great and very buzzed about bands in the same day. Rag & Bone (or rag & bone) is a fashion brand by British designers David Neville and Marcus Wainwright. They are two good and very fun guys who I actually got the chance of meeting and hanging out with at their last event at Saks Fifth Ave, when their men's wear got a section at the well known department store. This particular event was in celebration of their women's line, and what better way to celebrate the new arrival to the store than giving out free beer and wine and having the Smith Westerns perform?

The event itself was great, free beer and wine and passed hors d'oeuvres usually are. After a while of that though, it was time to get to the show. Now I've heard good things about this band, but prior to yesterday I'd never heard any of their stuff, let alone seen them before. When they came out, the first thing I noticed, before they even strung up a single guitar, was how young they looked. Seriously they looked like teenagers! It turns out after a little research, that the indie rock band don't have a member above the age of 20, so I suppose they are rather young. They come off as being even younger when you consider their sound. An article I read said they're sound is "glam-garage," that's definitely the first I've heard that term used, but I think it works for them. They have a very mature sound and you can tell from hearing them play that they have great musical influences, siting The Beatles as one of their biggest. Sound wise for me, they had a bit of that slow electro kind of rock, that I suppose you could call glam, because it does have a hint of David Bowie to it, another one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITE MUSICIANS! With that said, it's hard to characterize them musically, and really it would be a waste of time to do so, just toss them in the box where you put Great Music.

They did a very short set as well, but pretty much went through their catalog of different sounds; everything was great though. Their track "Smile" was probably my favorite, but it's like asking a parent who their favorite child is! They're sound is exactly what today's music needs, music that sounds like it's from yesterday, the good old days as I like to call it. Definitely check out their new album, and if you get a chance, check them out live.

No comments:

Post a Comment